Lucky 13 in Matural Minor

Anything apart from the two mainstream default harmonicas (Solo-tuned fully-valved chromatic, and un-valved Richter 10-hole diatonic). Alternate tunings, different construction, new functionality, interesting old designs, wishful-thinking... whatever!
r!Bo.

Lucky 13 in Matural Minor

Post by r!Bo. » Mon Sep 10, 2018 3:41 pm

First off I just received My First Lucky 13 in Bb
Oh I love this Great instrument not only for the extra 3 bass holes but for the draw bend Enhancements I use draw bends a lot but these babies really make it a lot easier on some holes. the Quality of these Harmonicas compare to any of the top manufacturers and probably better in some ways.
Reading another member forum I noticed a recommendation about offering the Lucky 13 in a natural minor
I would vote on that one or a Dorian tuning Where Draw hole 3 and 7 are flattened 1 note ex in rictcher hole 3 & 7 C harmonica B down to A#
This tuning I like and have done myself by filling the base of the reed to lower the pitch this However it compromises the integrity of the reed.
Another method I have used is to drop hot non lead solder on the tip and filling it into tune. Since I am not good at replacing reeds I think having these Harps offered in a few keys to start, may take off with either Natural Minor or Dorian lucky 13 Harmonicas.
Also I own 4 Hohner 40 year old Veriens Moll Harmonic minor Harps I bought new years ago. They Still work fine and give me some great Eastern Sounds Like in Klezmer music. This is really a stretch But I wonder How the Lucky 13 Would sound with that kind of tuning especially in power Draw
All suggestions; I realize having new lines may call for investments that may not pay off or be slow to take off
r!Bo.

ROBERT TEMPLE

Re: Lucky 13 in Matural Minor

Post by ROBERT TEMPLE » Sun Oct 14, 2018 1:18 am

Very interesting, the dorian harp you described. I made one as well using an "A Major blowplate" over an "E Natural Minor drawplate" using Lee Oskar harps. Very simple mod if one happens to have those laying around. It is one of my favorite harps. I want to take the harp further using half-valving or thereabouts. As it stands, the harp ob/ods easily though it is a tradeoff when adding valves. I think the valving on this particular setup would make for a very expressive harp. I have always been a big fan of much jazz but was not able to play much of it until I started learning/practicing ob/ods with much determination and perseverance starting mid-January 2018. Ob/ods are now a normal part of my bag of techniques and I am happy to have FINALLY learned to play AND use them after having picked up my first harp in 1973. Many, many doors have been opened and I am really excited to explore as much as possible using my techniques and alt tunings/valvings/obs.

Valved diatonics seem like logical harps to have and use for whatever blows your skirt up, be it jazz, blues, country, whatever type of music you like to play. I do believe that hard playing, like James Cotton did, would NOT work well with valved harps.

I look forward to reading more about your and others' mods and what you might think of my idea of valving/palving the dorian harp discussed here. I am fairly new to any of these forums re: harp but I must say, I have learned a whole lot since January this year, thanks to the Net, and I want to learn more.

Thanks one and all for your ideas.

Peace

r!Bo.

Post by r!Bo. » Sun Dec 02, 2018 5:02 pm

This is great and so Simple to do.
I seem to remember Seydell and Lee Oscar have different designations of natural Minor So one is 5 steps up from the other so if I am correct the E
natural minor Lee Oscar would sound the same as the A natural minor Seydell if that makes any sence.
Which also makes sence since the Dorian tuning does not involve the upper blow plate ritcher tuning change.

Time to look thu my old discarded harps for this easy marriage that I am sure appllies all the keys when transposed.
Great post.
r!Bo.

triona

Post by triona » Sun Dec 02, 2018 6:37 pm

r!Bo. wrote:
Sun Dec 02, 2018 5:02 pm
I seem to remember Seydell and Lee Oscar have different designations of natural Minor So one is 5 steps up from the other so if I am correct the E
natural minor Lee Oscar would sound the same as the A natural minor Seydell if that makes any sence.

That seems true. I once ordered an Am from Seydel to replace my worn "Am" from Tombo. Sounded totally different, and I reclaimed. Then Seydel told me, that I must order Dm, if I want to get the same tuning as the Tombo. Since that I always order by giving the exact layout.

dear greetings
triona
Aw, Thou beloved, do hearken to the Banshee's lonely croon!
sinn féin - ça ira !
Cad é sin do'n té sin nach mbaineann sin dó

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC1yI3H ... 9ktgzTR2qg

r!Bo.

Post by r!Bo. » Sun Dec 02, 2018 7:33 pm

Thank you Triona for corroborating my observation.
I guess there are still some discrepancies anomg harmonica manufacturers I.D. system.
My first Minor Harmonicas were Hohner Veriens
They turned out to be the same configuration as Seydell Melodic Minor.
These were a very robust design for the time over 40 years ago they has a stainles steel multi curvature slip cover over the wooden comb that pretty well sealed out most of the mouth moisture/saliva.
I have 5 keys of these and they still play Great for their age.
They are nice for Eastern scales and Greek Gypsy and Klezmer sounds.
r!Bo.