Lydian Tuning

Anything apart from the two mainstream default harmonicas (Solo-tuned fully-valved chromatic, and un-valved Richter 10-hole diatonic). Alternate tunings, different construction, new functionality, interesting old designs, wishful-thinking... whatever!
UdovisDevoh

Lydian Tuning

Post by UdovisDevoh » Sun Mar 10, 2019 8:59 pm

Hi, In my quest for modal harmonica tuning, I recently retuned a harp for lydian mode. It's quite similar to Melody Maker, but without the "paddy richter transformation" on blow 3. Instead, I lower draw 2 to -1 semitone.

To sum things up: My tuning is double country tuning with draw 2 -1 semitone.

(From low F)
F|A|C|F|A|C|F|A|C|F
G|B|E|G|B|D|E|G|B|D

Here's a video showing what it can do:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y2Gzzxku9AM

EdvinW

Re: Lydian Tuning

Post by EdvinW » Tue Mar 12, 2019 7:51 pm

Great experiment! Thanks for sharing!

Lydian scales aren't that common... I suppose this really IS the Alternative harmonica forum with capital A :D
Edvin Wedin

UdovisDevoh

Post by UdovisDevoh » Wed Mar 13, 2019 1:59 pm

Hey, thanks! I will soon share some data about Phrygian, Mixolydian and Dorian tuning. I skipped Locrian.

triona

Post by triona » Wed Mar 13, 2019 4:30 pm

Here is the layout of my Seydel Sampler in the keys of D major and A mixolydian:

The Seydel sampler is a double diatonic with slide, solo tuned on both of the reedplates. Its default tuning is D+A, switching from one to the other by the slide. By retuning the G#s of the A-reedplate this changes from A major to A mixolydian. This is containing the same notes as D major. By moving the slide the note jumps up or down by a fourth.

I got the idea from Donald Black. He tuned a turn-around double tremolo (*) like this. (It used to be the discontinued Hohner Highlander.) The Seydel Sampler offers both of these scales on one side of the harp. I use it mainly for Scottish and Irish folk and for Baroque and Renaissance tunes. :D

*) What is the correct term for this type of harmonica in English?

dear greetings
triona
Aw, Thou beloved, do hearken to the Banshee's lonely croon!
sinn féin - ça ira !
Cad é sin do'n té sin nach mbaineann sin dó

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC1yI3H ... 9ktgzTR2qg

EdvinW

Post by EdvinW » Wed Mar 13, 2019 4:58 pm

UdovisDevoh wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 1:59 pm
Hey, thanks! I will soon share some data about Phrygian, Mixolydian and Dorian tuning. I skipped Locrian.
As for the Dorian tuning: Would this be a harp laid out as a Richter, but with a Dorian scale in first position? This is what is normally referred to when people speak of "natural minor" tuning, and this is what you get if you order a natural minor from say Seydel or Lee Oskar.

Looking forward to them!
Edvin Wedin

UdovisDevoh

Post by UdovisDevoh » Wed Mar 13, 2019 10:07 pm

Nice layout Trinoa. I would like to get a chromatic harmonica with some custom tuning some day.

EdwinW:
For Dorian tuning, I used a natural minor Lee Oskar and I lowered the pitch of the 2nd draw (-2 semitones).
Here's what it can do:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6i6Iu_xqscg