Unvalved chromatic or double diatonic

Anything apart from the two mainstream default harmonicas (Solo-tuned fully-valved chromatic, and un-valved Richter 10-hole diatonic). Alternate tunings, different construction, new functionality, interesting old designs, wishful-thinking... whatever!
Felix

Unvalved chromatic or double diatonic

Post by Felix » Fri Aug 11, 2017 12:13 pm

HI everyone,
the discussion about halfvalved chromatic made me thinking about unvalved chromatic again. From the theory, it ist a nice idea to have one reed or each tone + the possibibility to use bendings and overblows instead the sildebutton, if this sound is wanted.

But in praxis actually the blownotes sound very brightless and the playability in general is bad.

Has anybody found a way to keep a unvalved chromatic playable like a valved one? Or has anyone made more positive expierences?

Would a chromatic build as a "double-diatonic" like the twin-harmonicas work proberly better?
Regards

Brendan

Re: Unvalved chromatic or double diatonic

Post by Brendan » Wed Aug 30, 2017 7:31 am

An Overblow Chromatic is a good aim and one I'm sure will come to fruition.

Ideally it should be the same size as a 10-hole diatonic, because overblowers come from that background. One possibility is shown here, and will be out there very soon:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xK_wXODAQ0Y&t=5s

I'm interested to see what overblowers can do with this. But ideally the MiniChrom should be the same thickness as a blues harp too. I have a couple of designs in the pipeline, and I know others do too. I think it won't be too long before you are spoilt for choice!

There is a long thread on this elsewhere in the forum:
http://www.brendan-power.com/forum/view ... p?f=9&t=23

Felix

Re: Unvalved chromatic or double diatonic

Post by Felix » Thu Aug 31, 2017 10:51 am

Yes i already looked at the thread and i'm really courius of the twin diatonics.

Are going to create the system for seydelharmonicas too? With the superlows or a turboslide 1847 they could become even more intressting.
With the turboslide they would be a little bit like a trumpet with those valve buttons.