The new, updated DM48X is here!

Anything apart from the two mainstream default harmonicas (Solo-tuned fully-valved chromatic, and un-valved Richter 10-hole diatonic). Alternate tunings, different construction, new functionality, interesting old designs, wishful-thinking... whatever!
jazmaan

Re: The new, updated DM48X is here!

Post by jazmaan » Mon Jan 17, 2022 8:59 pm

If they will really retrofit the previous DM48 with a ribbon bender I think I'd take them up on that. As I understand it, the only other advantage of the DM48X is that it will connect wirelessly via Bluetooth to an iPhone or iPad, but I'm strictly a Windows/Android guy and would have to buy a used iPad just for the wireless hookup, adding even more expense. I've gone so far as to try my DM48 with Garageband on an old iPad and I thought the sounds were kind of cheesy compared to what I can get from Mixcraft 9 and the inexpensive Windpak03 package of Kontakt 5 sampled harmonica sounds.

I don't think I'd be using my DM48 for playing out live gigs much. I have seen Jason Keane do it with a pretty elaborate hardware rack, but that looks like too much trouble for me! I was tempted by a competing Midi harp from China that is completely self-contained, but also pretty expensive.

Lizzy

Post by Lizzy » Mon Jan 17, 2022 9:47 pm

With bluetooth you should be able to connect it to a android phone or laptop. Maybe latency problems or maybe not. Brendan...do you know?

Brendan

Post by Brendan » Tue Jan 18, 2022 12:20 am

The slider is good but gives abrupt note changes. I often prefer the sound of bends between notes. But it's a subjective thing...

Brendan

Post by Brendan » Wed Jan 19, 2022 6:42 pm

Here's the same original tune I played on Midi harmonica in the last video; this time it's on a Lucky 13 in PowerChromatic tuning. I'm interested to hear how you think the bending styles compare: regular draw bending on the Lucky vs. finger-bending on the DM48X Midi harmonica.

LUCKY 13 VERSION
https://youtu.be/qL2p7tt-aDY

This is the style I'm trying to emulate with finger-bending on Midi harmonica. Even though the melody is essentially the same, the sharp eared amongst you might hear differences in some of the bends.

DM48X VERSION
https://youtu.be/mg1m3cqVyzY

Although more tricky to do the bending itself (because of having to coordinate my finger with breath and hole changes), it's more flexible with Midi because I can vary the depth of the bends. On the harmonica version of this tune all the bends are one semitone (due to the tuning and how interactive reed bending works). But on the DM48X I can opt for two semitone bends where they sound better. (The bend on the repeated main theme is 2 semitones, for example).

One way I can get this musically appealing variable draw bending depth on a regular harmonica is by using a TurboSlide on a Seydel in PowerChromatic tuning. Lowering the blow notes a semitone will give me two semitone draw bends where desired. I'll make one up shortly and give it a try 🙂

Lizzy

Post by Lizzy » Thu Jan 20, 2022 6:51 am

Well, the sound from DM48X is processed with a effect which alters the sound a little bit but despite that i cant hear any big difference or any difference at all.