Introduce yourself

Anything apart from the two mainstream default harmonicas (Solo-tuned fully-valved chromatic, and un-valved Richter 10-hole diatonic). Alternate tunings, different construction, new functionality, interesting old designs, wishful-thinking... whatever!
November_SSN

Re: Introduce yourself

Post by November_SSN » Mon Apr 26, 2021 6:29 pm

Hello everyone! I'm Paul, from Russia, although I was born and raised in Tacoma, WA. I've recently started playing the harmonica because it's an instrument my late grandfather loved to play, and it's a small thing that can be put in any pocket, which is great as I like camping, historical reenacting and traveling.

triona

Post by triona » Mon Apr 26, 2021 8:22 pm

November_SSN wrote:
Mon Apr 26, 2021 6:29 pm
Hello everyone! I'm Paul, from Russia ...
Hello Paul,

welcome here.
From which town in Russia you are?
Do you know Boris Plotnikov?
I play several nice vargan (khomus, jaws harp) from Russia. :D

dear greetings
triona
Aw, Thou beloved, do hearken to the Banshee's lonely croon!
sinn féin - ça ira !
Cad é sin do'n té sin nach mbaineann sin dó

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC1yI3H ... 9ktgzTR2qg

November_SSN

Post by November_SSN » Tue Apr 27, 2021 4:55 pm

Hello! I live in Saratov (but spend one fourth of the year in Saint Petersburg), but have never heard of Boris Plotnikov, I'm heading to Google right now.

triona

Post by triona » Tue Apr 27, 2021 9:40 pm

Aw, Thou beloved, do hearken to the Banshee's lonely croon!
sinn féin - ça ira !
Cad é sin do'n té sin nach mbaineann sin dó

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC1yI3H ... 9ktgzTR2qg

triarius

Post by triarius » Wed Jul 28, 2021 10:44 pm

Hi,

I recently returned to playing the "harp", after over a quarter of a century without it. Then it had been very nice, I wasn't bad (though I'm simply not interested in performing), but I had developed a nasty hemathoma on my lower lip from all that bending, so I threw the "harp" (sorry, but the harp is really quite a different instrument, and I even personally know a real filharmonic harpist) away. Recently I decided that if I can't get rid of the hemathoma, I may just as well start playing the harmonica again. And I did.

I really like the diatonic "harp" and playing with diatonic instruments (like tin-whistle), but "deep down" I'm a chromatic musician really - wanting to play in any tonation etc., without carrying a suitcase with lots of instruments. I guess this attitude comes from my youthful passion for jazz, though I am no longer as great jazz aficionado. I understand diatonic players quite well, but for me the "serious" playing is on something fully chromatic.

And so I got interested in the chromatic harmonica, which I previously ignored (I play a few other things) and worse... Not being able to find the Hogber Chromonica I somewhere have, I don't even know how I got it, I ordered a very cheap Chinese 14-hole chromatic and started to learn. It seems quite decent - good tone and good tuning - the double holes make it much more difficult to learn but it was cheap...

Now, why am I telling you all this and why am I here in the first place? The thing is that while studying all the available harmonica info, e.g. Brendan Power's fascinating stuff, I got the idea that it could be possible perhaps to make the chromatic harmonica something of "the ultimate MIDI-controller" - better in many respect than keyboards or electronic saxophones! I am serious! I'm not a great fan of electronics in music but, just as the photography got digital, maybe the future of the music is also... And then a smart harmonica-based controller would be a treasure.

But it really would need to be VERY SMART - much smarter and more innovative than the few electronic "harps" of today. And it should be modular - allowing a smooth transition from a realatively cheap acustic instrument to a high-tech digital powerhouse. Similar basic stuff with quite different power and possibilities. I used to be an engineer in telecoms, I've been interested in music all my life and know a thing or two... So, if anybody is interested in discussing such idea, or perhaps even something more, than I'm all ears!

To all the rest of you people I say - pardon my unusually long "introduction"! :evil:

Dorothy

Post by Dorothy » Sun Jun 19, 2022 9:21 am

Hello everyone. I currently call WV, USA my home. I grew up with a garden and I enjoyed playing the diatonic harmonica for fun. I first started on the harmonica when I was given a diatonic harmonica as a very little girl. I later discovered a beautiful old Hohner Chrometta 12 harmonica in the closet in 2012, which renewed my interest in harmonicas. Then I happened to find Brendan's youtube video's about the modular-reed harmonica.

jimgar

Post by jimgar » Thu Nov 24, 2022 7:29 am

Hi guys. I'm new too, so nice to be here. By the way, my name is Jim ;)

rafaelveggi

Post by rafaelveggi » Sat Nov 18, 2023 9:27 pm

Hey folks, thanks for letting me in

My name is Rafa, and I've been struggling to learn to play the harmonica for the last 25 years, with great joy, though

Cheers!

WoozleHarmonicas

Post by WoozleHarmonicas » Wed Feb 14, 2024 9:08 pm

Greetings, folks!
I can't believe it took me this long to find this forum and get myself registered!

My name is Rob, and I live in Medicine Hat, Alberta, Canada. I've been fascinated with all of Brendan's harmonica inventions since I first encountered them more than 10 years ago. I started playing PowerDraw harps almost exclusively for a while, purchasing a bunch and building many of my own. I play a lot more in standard Richter tuning now that I've started teaching, but have also branched out a bit to other tunings. I see all of them as "tools" that can be incredibly beneficial for all sorts of musical scenarios.

I make and repair all sorts of harmonica stuff, and I've started 3d printing my own parts and jigs to use in repair work and my own playing. I'm always interested in creating "job aids" that simplify or streamline processes.

I hope to contribute positively to the discussions here and learn a thing or two along the way.
Cheers!
Robert Laferriere
WoozleHarmonicas

WoozleHarmonicas

Post by WoozleHarmonicas » Thu Feb 15, 2024 5:02 pm

Hah! Apparently it didn't take me as long to find this forum than I thought. It just took another 5 years to remember that I'd found it once before!
Well, since then I've certainly learned a lot!
WoozleEffect wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 2:56 am
Hi folks,

My name is Robert Laferriere, and I'm from Russell, Manitoba, Canada. 🇨🇦

I've been playing the harp for about 10 years now, although only in any serious way for the past 3 or 4. I've somewhat transitioned from being primarily a guitar-based loop station performer, to a sound that heavily relies on harmonica, and home-made dulcimer type stringed instruments. I mostly play blues and folk themed covers of pop, punk, and grunge music, with a little bit of everything else thrown in for good measure.

I ordered a set of 6 of Brendan's PowerDraw harmonicas a few years back, and haven't looked back. Just about every harp I own now was either ordered from Seydel pre-tuned to PowerDraw, or I've retuned them myself. Andrew Zajac's tools and videos have made reed swapping a breeze, and I love the control that customising goes me over my instruments!

I just started mucking around with natural minor tuned harps, and have been experimenting with a few alternate layouts that give me the best of the Natural Minor and PowerDraw worlds. So far, I'm impressed!

I'm looking forward to picking your brains as i figure out more about custom tuning layouts and techniques for playing them.

Cheers,

Rob L
Robert Laferriere
WoozleHarmonicas