Introduce yourself

Anything apart from the two mainstream default harmonicas (Solo-tuned fully-valved chromatic, and un-valved Richter 10-hole diatonic). Alternate tunings, different construction, new functionality, interesting old designs, wishful-thinking... whatever!
November_SSN

Re: Introduce yourself

Post by November_SSN » Mon Apr 26, 2021 6:29 pm

Hello everyone! I'm Paul, from Russia, although I was born and raised in Tacoma, WA. I've recently started playing the harmonica because it's an instrument my late grandfather loved to play, and it's a small thing that can be put in any pocket, which is great as I like camping, historical reenacting and traveling.

triona

Post by triona » Mon Apr 26, 2021 8:22 pm

November_SSN wrote:
Mon Apr 26, 2021 6:29 pm
Hello everyone! I'm Paul, from Russia ...
Hello Paul,

welcome here.
From which town in Russia you are?
Do you know Boris Plotnikov?
I play several nice vargan (khomus, jaws harp) from Russia. :D

dear greetings
triona
Aw, Thou beloved, do hearken to the Banshee's lonely croon!
sinn féin - ça ira !
Cad é sin do'n té sin nach mbaineann sin dó

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC1yI3H ... 9ktgzTR2qg

November_SSN

Post by November_SSN » Tue Apr 27, 2021 4:55 pm

Hello! I live in Saratov (but spend one fourth of the year in Saint Petersburg), but have never heard of Boris Plotnikov, I'm heading to Google right now.

triona

Post by triona » Tue Apr 27, 2021 9:40 pm

Aw, Thou beloved, do hearken to the Banshee's lonely croon!
sinn féin - ça ira !
Cad é sin do'n té sin nach mbaineann sin dó

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC1yI3H ... 9ktgzTR2qg

triarius

Post by triarius » Wed Jul 28, 2021 10:44 pm

Hi,

I recently returned to playing the "harp", after over a quarter of a century without it. Then it had been very nice, I wasn't bad (though I'm simply not interested in performing), but I had developed a nasty hemathoma on my lower lip from all that bending, so I threw the "harp" (sorry, but the harp is really quite a different instrument, and I even personally know a real filharmonic harpist) away. Recently I decided that if I can't get rid of the hemathoma, I may just as well start playing the harmonica again. And I did.

I really like the diatonic "harp" and playing with diatonic instruments (like tin-whistle), but "deep down" I'm a chromatic musician really - wanting to play in any tonation etc., without carrying a suitcase with lots of instruments. I guess this attitude comes from my youthful passion for jazz, though I am no longer as great jazz aficionado. I understand diatonic players quite well, but for me the "serious" playing is on something fully chromatic.

And so I got interested in the chromatic harmonica, which I previously ignored (I play a few other things) and worse... Not being able to find the Hogber Chromonica I somewhere have, I don't even know how I got it, I ordered a very cheap Chinese 14-hole chromatic and started to learn. It seems quite decent - good tone and good tuning - the double holes make it much more difficult to learn but it was cheap...

Now, why am I telling you all this and why am I here in the first place? The thing is that while studying all the available harmonica info, e.g. Brendan Power's fascinating stuff, I got the idea that it could be possible perhaps to make the chromatic harmonica something of "the ultimate MIDI-controller" - better in many respect than keyboards or electronic saxophones! I am serious! I'm not a great fan of electronics in music but, just as the photography got digital, maybe the future of the music is also... And then a smart harmonica-based controller would be a treasure.

But it really would need to be VERY SMART - much smarter and more innovative than the few electronic "harps" of today. And it should be modular - allowing a smooth transition from a realatively cheap acustic instrument to a high-tech digital powerhouse. Similar basic stuff with quite different power and possibilities. I used to be an engineer in telecoms, I've been interested in music all my life and know a thing or two... So, if anybody is interested in discussing such idea, or perhaps even something more, than I'm all ears!

To all the rest of you people I say - pardon my unusually long "introduction"! :evil: