Fully chromatic tuning for slideless 10-hole “diatonic” harp (or “Black Badge” tuning)

Anything apart from the two mainstream default harmonicas (Solo-tuned fully-valved chromatic, and un-valved Richter 10-hole diatonic). Alternate tunings, different construction, new functionality, interesting old designs, wishful-thinking... whatever!
IaNerd

Fully chromatic tuning for slideless 10-hole “diatonic” harp (or “Black Badge” tuning)

Post by IaNerd » Wed Sep 27, 2017 6:52 pm

NAME: "Black badge tuning". (Can you see why?)

BASIC CONCEPT: I think the title of this Topic says it all.

DISCLAIMER/DISCLOSURE:
I already used this octave in another topic called "Twelve-hole slide harp with 2.3 chromatic octaves, 14 different chords and easy diatonic play."

Also, I am quite paranoid that someone, somewhere has already come up with this particular octave, because it seems almost self-evident. Please let me know if this tuning has been done before--I will not be surprised or upset.

WHEN/HOW: September of 2017. I have not yet had one made.

LAYOUT/DETAILS:
This is "like" solo/tonleiter tuning in the sense that this is intended primarily/entirely for single-note play (i.e. zero chords). And it is "like" the PowerChromatic octave in that it uses the same kind of simple draw bends to achieve accidentals.

The example given here is "primarily" a C major version, though it can be played just as easily in the relative A minor. The C major octave is shown in a red dotted line. Observe however that there would be eight different diatonic pathways from the tonic to its octave.

The solid blue line depicts one of many ways to ascend the g minor hexatonic "blues" scale.

So go ahead: Keep a fully chromatic non-sliding ten-holer on your person at all times! For that matter, make it a Big Six (use chambers 4-9) with a fully chromatic octave plus an additional note!

Attachments
2017-09-28 (4).png
2017-09-28 (4).png (42.38 KiB) Viewed 6797 times
Last edited by IaNerd on Fri Jan 05, 2018 7:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.

IaNerd

Re: Fully chromatic tuning for slideless 10-hole “diatonic” harp (or “Black Badge” tuning)

Post by IaNerd » Wed Nov 22, 2017 8:16 pm

As for my "Disclaimer/Disclosure" (above), my suspicion has been validated. On the Slidemeister forum, Gary Lehmann pointed out that "Black Badge" is identical to, and preceded by, PentaBender tuning by Roger Myerson.

I thank Gary for the correction and congratulate Roger for "getting there" first.

CrawfordEs

Re: Fully chromatic tuning for slideless 10-hole “diatonic” harp (or “Black Badge” tuning)

Post by CrawfordEs » Sun Nov 26, 2017 12:10 am

Check out overblow.com.
Lots of tunings there with an awesome interactive chart. (Pentabender is not one) It will save you reinventing the wheel, and give some good ideas / starting points.
Also, if you google pentabender or Newton Four Key you can find an article with a chart of a few tunings.
It’s fun stuff.