Maximally re-tunable reed?

Anything apart from the two mainstream default harmonicas (Solo-tuned fully-valved chromatic, and un-valved Richter 10-hole diatonic). Alternate tunings, different construction, new functionality, interesting old designs, wishful-thinking... whatever!
IaNerd

Maximally re-tunable reed?

Post by IaNerd » Tue Mar 05, 2019 11:26 am

What would be the physical characteristics of a reed designed to have an extremely wide latitude for re-tuning? Dimensions, shape, material(s)?

I imagine that such a reed might initially be tuned at or near its theoretically highest pitch, and have its re-tuning latitude extend downwards from there.

Or it might initially be tuned at or near its theoretically lowest pitch, and have its re-tuning latitude extend upwards from there.

Or it might initially be tuned near the center of its pitch range, and have its re-tuning latitude extend in both directions.

Thoughts?

triona

Re: Maximally re-tunable reed?

Post by triona » Wed Mar 06, 2019 9:52 am

IaNerd wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2019 11:26 am
Or it might initially be tuned at or near its theoretically lowest pitch, and have its re-tuning latitude extend upwards from there.

I would recommend this. Because reduction of material at the fastened end of the reed reduces solidity and durability more than reduction at the free end. At the fastened end the reed is stressed by movement into two directions. And the use of solder is considered second choice too by some people. You must be aware that any reduction of material will weaken a reed mechanically.

Btw: Seydel does not retune reeds at all on new harps. They change reeds and do only fine tuning, if you want to have it retuned, even if it is only a semitone lower. I presume this is due to the fact that they must warrant for new instruments.

dear greetings
triona
Aw, Thou beloved, do hearken to the Banshee's lonely croon!
sinn féin - ça ira !
Cad é sin do'n té sin nach mbaineann sin dó

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC1yI3H ... 9ktgzTR2qg