Double Paddy Wilde Rock Lucky 13!

Anything apart from the two mainstream default harmonicas (Solo-tuned fully-valved chromatic, and un-valved Richter 10-hole diatonic). Alternate tunings, different construction, new functionality, interesting old designs, wishful-thinking... whatever!
Dylan Campbell

Double Paddy Wilde Rock Lucky 13!

Post by Dylan Campbell » Wed Jul 08, 2020 8:24 pm

I got my Power Draw in the mail earlier and it's really amazing for playing in the top end! But I primarily play Paddy Richter because I don't play a lot of blues (although it's great for blues!) and I need that clean 2nd of the scale because I play it very often and hate having to bend to it every time. After staring at the Power Bender, Power Draw, Paddy Richter, and Wilde Rock tunings for the past 2 hours...I realize why they all exist! There is just no good way to get ALL of the benefits without sacrificing something! Power draw with a paddified 3 Blow I think is the closest, but then you can't play the major 7th (F#) on a C harp in the middle register (it is there in the top register!). You could country tune the 5 draw, but it takes away from the cool sound of wailing on the flat 7th when you have to bend to it. If you paddify the Wilde Tuned harp you completely lose the Major 4 chord.

If they had a Lucky 13 harp configurator though, I think you could combine the best of all of them with the following tuning. The top 10 holes (4-13)are paddified Wilde Rock tuning with richter tuning in the low 3 holes. It basically makes a double Paddy Tuned Wilde Rock harp in the top 10 holes but gives you 3 major 4th combinations in the low end (2 are inversions) while still giving access to the major 7th in the middle and top register. Unfortunately, none of the luck 13s are close enough to retune to the tuning below without major surgery! :) Maybe someday I'll Frankenstein one though! What do you think?

CEG CEACEEACEA
DGB DGBDFGBDGC

Brendan

Re: Double Paddy Wilde Rock Lucky 13!

Post by Brendan » Thu Jul 09, 2020 3:20 am

Depends what you call 'major surgery'. That looks to me like a pretty easy change from a Lucky 13 in PowerDraw tuning: only 3 reeds to change. If you develop the skills it would take under 5 minutes.

Certainly the major 7th in cross harp would be available as a partial bendbin the middle octave, but not easy to get in tune at speed. For the criteria you are after, I'd recommend a Paddy version of PowerBender instead.

Dylan Campbell

Post by Dylan Campbell » Thu Jul 09, 2020 3:10 pm

Yes, the Paddy Power Bender looks like a great option now that you say that. I think I'll get one ordered! Thanks Brendan!

EdvinW

Post by EdvinW » Thu Jul 09, 2020 10:25 pm

Paddy Powerbender is a nice tuning! I've been playing around with it during the spring, and I'm coming to really like it. There are several nice positions, and I really prefer the top octave to the Richter one.

I never tried a Paddy Powerdraw, but thinking about it I realize that for 4th position minor tunes this could have some advantages to the Paddy Powerbender:
* There are more of the large Paddy chords at the bottom, including the major parallel.
* The middle root note is a bendable draw.
* Overall more familiar to a Paddy player.

Some other positions might not be as nice, but this particular one looks good.

What do you guys think?
Edvin Wedin

triona

Post by triona » Fri Jul 10, 2020 10:32 am

Paddy Power Bender and Paddy Power Draw - are these tunings ready to order OOTB? Or are these individually retuned ones?

dear greetings
triona
Aw, Thou beloved, do hearken to the Banshee's lonely croon!
sinn féin - ça ira !
Cad é sin do'n té sin nach mbaineann sin dó

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC1yI3H ... 9ktgzTR2qg

Brendan

Post by Brendan » Sat Jul 25, 2020 5:48 am

You'd have to do the retune to Paddy, but it's only two reeds and quite easy.

triona

Post by triona » Sat Jul 25, 2020 9:54 am

Thanks.
For experimentation with quite similar tuning variations like this, your modular harp would be an ideal instrument. Do you intend to keep on the idea? I would like this very much. I had been thinking about suggestions for some improvements as well.

dear greetings
triona
Aw, Thou beloved, do hearken to the Banshee's lonely croon!
sinn féin - ça ira !
Cad é sin do'n té sin nach mbaineann sin dó

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC1yI3H ... 9ktgzTR2qg