Seydel Nonslider

Anything apart from the two mainstream default harmonicas (Solo-tuned fully-valved chromatic, and un-valved Richter 10-hole diatonic). Alternate tunings, different construction, new functionality, interesting old designs, wishful-thinking... whatever!
IaNerd

Re: Seydel Nonslider

Post by IaNerd » Sun Oct 17, 2021 3:48 pm

I'm going to propose a NonSlider idea to this group. I would like your feedback on it before I (might) propose it to Seydel. I'm finding this idea difficult to explain with just words, so please bear with me.

Let's start with the idea of the NonSlider as a form of Sampler -- for example, C in the upper tier and G in the lower tier. So in this case, the C tier would be played with the back of the harp tipped upwards, and the G would be played with the harp tipped downwards.

Now let us suppose that a player subjectively found the tipped-up embouchure to be more comfortable/effective than the tipped-down embouchure. What if Seydel made a comb which had went from low-left to high-right in the upper tier -- but then in the opposite direction in the lower tier? To play the G tier in the preferred tipped-up way, the harp would simply be rotated (like an airplane propeller) 180 degrees.

Certainly this would make switching keys mid-song slower and more difficult. But to maintain a preferred embouchure, that is a trade that some people might make.

Am I making this clear? In your opinion, does this idea have merit?

triona

Post by triona » Sun Oct 17, 2021 5:22 pm

More simple: Just change the two reed plates against each other. It changes blow-draw-direction as well. If you want to avoid this, choose 2 configurated reed plates where the keys are changed concerning the blow-draw-direction.

Keep in mind, that the Sampler has both of the keys on 1 reed plate each. There is no cross layout like i.e. the CX-12 has. If you turn around the slide axially on the default model, you change the keys concerning the positions of the slide, i.e. which of the keys is played when the slide is pressed or not.
IaNerd wrote:
Sun Oct 17, 2021 3:48 pm
... What if Seydel made a comb which had went from low-left to high-right in the upper tier -- but then in the opposite direction in the lower tier? ...
I do not think, Seydel will do this. They would have to mill a new and completely different comb instead of taking one from their default production like they do now. I guess this is a project for tinkerers who have access to a 3-D-Printer.

dear greetings
triona
Aw, Thou beloved, do hearken to the Banshee's lonely croon!
sinn féin - ça ira !
Cad é sin do'n té sin nach mbaineann sin dó

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC1yI3H ... 9ktgzTR2qg

Gerhard62

Post by Gerhard62 » Sun Oct 17, 2021 10:24 pm

triona wrote:
Wed Oct 13, 2021 6:17 pm
Let us wait what there might come.
I expect a price of about 40 €, or maybe a little bit more, because they must mill (or laser or cast or whatever) it or let do this exclusively for this particular model.
dear greetings
triona
Now at the Seydel Homepage the mouthpeace of the Nonslider for 59,95€.

IaNerd

Post by IaNerd » Mon Oct 18, 2021 1:13 am

I see it now in "Diverse Spare Parts" for "Chromatic" at 69.95 USD "without VAT". I don't know if this means that VAT is yet to be added, or it might mean that no VAT will be added.

I am very happy to see this product. As soon as the NonSlider appears in the Configurator, I will jump in.

triona

Post by triona » Mon Oct 18, 2021 9:17 am

IaNerd wrote:
Mon Oct 18, 2021 1:13 am
I see it now in "Diverse Spare Parts" for "Chromatic" at 69.95 USD "without VAT". I don't know if this means that VAT is yet to be added, or it might mean that no VAT will be added.
"without VAT" = no VAT (tax) included - like always for exportation

That means you must pay tax in USA (or elsewhere) when you import the merchandise following the conditions and laws of the country of importation. Usually the customs authorities charge this when the parcel is coming in, usually at least before it is delivered. Sometimes it is payable to the post (or any other carrier) when delivered. Those usually take an extra charge for this service of tax clearance.

The German tax (VAT) would be + 19%.
The rates are different in each country, even within the EU. But the clearance is simplified to a certain degree within the EU.

dear greetings
triona
sinn féin - ça ira !

triona

Post by triona » Mon Oct 18, 2021 9:39 am

IaNerd wrote:
Mon Oct 18, 2021 1:13 am
As soon as the NonSlider appears in the Configurator, I will jump in.
Seydel makes any possible configuration on special request, even if it is not included in the configurator on their website. It only must be possible. This means that all parts which are necassary to configurate the harmonica are on stock.

The latter is especiallay concerning about reeds in the wished pitch and fitting to the wished reed plate. Most of their harmonicas are designed following a modular system. But usually they never retune any reeds apart from its default tunig. I.e. they do not more than finetuning on new reeds, no changes of a whole semitone or more from default. I guess that is for warranty's sake.

Just specify your request by email or letter. It must be clear what you want, because they do not take back configurated harmonicas. They will tell you if it is possible and what the costs would be.

dear greetings
thiona
sinn féin - ça ira !

Gerhard62

Post by Gerhard62 » Tue Nov 02, 2021 2:46 pm

Now is the Nonslider full configurable on the Seydel Homepage for 249,95€ 8-)

pbm

Post by pbm » Sat Nov 27, 2021 1:56 pm

Yep, ordered a Nonslider with "Orchestra PowerChromatic" tuning, can't wait to try it out. Hoping it holds up to the promises on the bends. Here's the link to the configurator for the nonslider: https://www.seydel1847.de/NONSLIDER-Chr ... nfigurable

pbm

Post by pbm » Tue Feb 01, 2022 10:27 pm

Well I tried it. I'd rather have the button, just easier, faster, less movement, gentler... But I love the PowerChromatic tuning! I got it in C but starting from with hole 1 on F/G (I play a lot of sung melodies, so this is a bit like "Orchestra tuning" to drop below C4). There's tunes that I would struggle with breathing before, like Greensleeves in Em, that are now easy. And some tunes that I struggled with corner switching also lay nicer on the harmonica now. So I've put the reed-plates on a comb with a slider and am very happy once again.

Lizzy

Post by Lizzy » Mon Mar 21, 2022 8:21 am

However...i experience it easier to get it more airtight with the nonslider. Its just one part instead of three.