Seydel Nonslider

Anything apart from the two mainstream default harmonicas (Solo-tuned fully-valved chromatic, and un-valved Richter 10-hole diatonic). Alternate tunings, different construction, new functionality, interesting old designs, wishful-thinking... whatever!
IaNerd

Re: Seydel Nonslider

Post by IaNerd » Sat Jul 17, 2021 7:47 pm

Triona --

Thanks for your detailed response. Interesting!

As for my own Q#1, I intended "slur" to mean a glissando or smooth overlapping transition from one note to another. This might be a USA usage of the word slur.

IaNerd

Post by IaNerd » Sat Jul 17, 2021 7:54 pm

Q#3: Is the reed interaction of draw bending any different when reeds are above/below each other as opposed to side-by-side?

triona

Post by triona » Sat Jul 17, 2021 10:10 pm

IaNerd wrote:
Sat Jul 17, 2021 7:54 pm
Q#3: Is the reed interaction of draw bending any different when reeds are above/below each other as opposed to side-by-side?
Apparently not. To my astonishment and to my subjective mind I think with the Seydel Nonslider it works even easier, smoother and with less hard effort than with the one or the other bluesharp. Propably this also might depend on the setup of the very instrument, or maybe even on the key.

All in all I can recommend the instrument as far as I could play it up till now. (Unfortunately I was not able yet to play it excessively like I had intended to due to some recent health issues.) It is more suitable for playing single note melodies rather than for heavy chord playing. But polyphonic tongue blocking and deliberate chord playing is possible as well. It just requires a little bit more training and thinking the embouchure in a new way.

And you should keep in mind: The Nonslider does not replace a traditional chromatic with slider. It is a useful and nice addition to it. Each one has its own benefits. And some of them are excluding each others.

dear greetings
triona
Aw, Thou beloved, do hearken to the Banshee's lonely croon!
sinn féin - ça ira !
Cad é sin do'n té sin nach mbaineann sin dó

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC1yI3H ... 9ktgzTR2qg

IaNerd

Post by IaNerd » Tue Jul 20, 2021 4:10 pm

With appropriate tunings, this could be a slideless/valveless alternative to their Sampler model.

Lizzy

Post by Lizzy » Thu Sep 02, 2021 6:36 pm

Triona...Did you try to overblow the nonslider? If you did..did you experience it easier compaired to a 10 hole diatonic?
I would imagine a similar result because the nonslider have 2 reeds i each chamber which a 10 hole diatonic also have, and both reeds interact with each other but on different places. But i could be wrong..

triona

Post by triona » Fri Sep 03, 2021 9:28 am

IaNerd wrote:
Tue Jul 20, 2021 4:10 pm
With appropriate tunings, this could be a slideless/valveless alternative to their Sampler model.
Not exactly.
Indeed it is a slideless/valveless alternative to their standard chromatic model - as well as to any standard chromatic harmonica.
The Sampler comes with a "double diatonic" tuning. I.e. it has 2 diatonic reedplates tuned a fifth respectively a fourth apart from each other - depending on whether you count upwards or downwards.
But this fact does not exclude the possibility that you can retune like you want.

dear greetings
triona
sinn féin - ça ira !

triona

Post by triona » Fri Sep 03, 2021 9:53 am

Lizzy wrote:
Thu Sep 02, 2021 6:36 pm
Triona...Did you try to overblow the nonslider? If you did..did you experience it easier compaired to a 10 hole diatonic?
I would imagine a similar result because the nonslider have 2 reeds i each chamber which a 10 hole diatonic also have, and both reeds interact with each other but on different places. But i could be wrong..

I think, principally you are right.
I did not yet try to overblow it. This is because 1. I did not yet play it very much due to temporary bad condition of health :( , and 2. I usually do not overblow any kind of harmonica due to that I simply can not do this properly. :lol:

But what I already have experienced: Bending - talking about reed interactive bending - is all the same as on any diatonic or any other bendable harmonica, concerning the playing technique as well as the sound. I presume overblowing should be possible alike. Just try it if you can.

And if you do not already have one, get one if you want to have an alternative to slider and valves. I can recommend it, because it would be fine anyway, even if overblowing would not outcome at its best.

dear greetings
triona
sinn féin - ça ira !

Lizzy

Post by Lizzy » Fri Sep 03, 2021 11:36 am

Thank you Triona, but i already have a powerchromatic deluxe, and as someone else also noted, dont need another in solo tuning. I prefer my 12 hole soloist pro steel and lucky 13 with valves but can eventually buy the mouthpiece when they will be available, just for curiosity . But do you feel any difference on reed response compaired to your regular chromatic?

Lizzy

Post by Lizzy » Fri Sep 03, 2021 11:42 am

Thank you Triona, but i already have a powerchromatic deluxe, and as someone else also noted, dont need another in solo tuning. I prefer my 12 hole soloist pro steel and lucky 13 with valves but can eventually buy the mouthpiece when they will be available, just for curiosity . But do you feel any difference on reed response compaired to your regular chromatic?

triona

Post by triona » Sat Sep 04, 2021 12:41 am

Lizzy wrote:
Fri Sep 03, 2021 11:42 am
... but can eventually buy the mouthpiece when they will be available, just for curiosity.
As far as I know Seydel has planned this.
At least they will offer the mouthpiece as a spare part one day, since they just recently have decided, that they will offer the Nonslider as a regular model from now. As far as I remember, they also have planned to offer the Nonslider in the configurator. That would mean, that it were available in all keys and tunings in which the conventional chroms are avilable too.

Lizzy wrote:
Fri Sep 03, 2021 11:42 am
But do you feel any difference on reed response compaired to your regular chromatic?
There is no difference in reedplates between the Nonslider and the conventional Chromatic Deluxe Steel or the Saxony. They all have identical reedplates. The double diatonic Sampler has technically the same reed plates as well - apart from the different tuning pattern. To my ears according to my subjective opinion the different shape of the mouthpiece does not make any difference considering about reed response, air requirement or sound and volume etc.

dear greetings
triona
sinn féin - ça ira !