DIMINISHED-SIXTH TUNING on the Modular-Reed Harmonica

Anything apart from the two mainstream default harmonicas (Solo-tuned fully-valved chromatic, and un-valved Richter 10-hole diatonic). Alternate tunings, different construction, new functionality, interesting old designs, wishful-thinking... whatever!
Brendan

DIMINISHED-SIXTH TUNING on the Modular-Reed Harmonica

Post by Brendan » Sat Jan 15, 2022 11:06 am

Here's what David Fairweather (jazmaan) just created with the Modular-Reed Harmonica : a Diminished-Sixth Tuning. Apparently this scale is all the rage in Jazz circles these days, but this is the first time it's been put in a harmonica - very interesting!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NX9plktdX84

I’ve tried to visualise it, and I think this is what David has in his harp:

DIMINISHED SIXTH TUNING (?)
Blow: A C Eb Gb A C Eb Gb A C Eb Gb
Draw: Bb D F G Bb D F G Bb D F G

However, in the video he says every draw reed bends, and in this layout two holes per octave do not bend - so I'm confused! I've asked David to post the layout he's using.

More info on the Modular-Reed Harmonica:
https://www.brendan-power.com/ModularHarp.php

jazmaan

Re: DIMINISHED-SIXTH TUNING on the Modular-Reed Harmonica

Post by jazmaan » Mon Jan 17, 2022 9:02 pm

Sorry I was wrong about every draw note bending. Only two out of 4 per octave bend fully. The others are just quarter tone bends.

jazmaan

Post by jazmaan » Mon Jan 17, 2022 9:03 pm

Also I created a diminished sixth tuning for my DM48. It's nice but I think I'd rather have it in a Modular Switch Harp so that I'd have the option of bending to get some notes,

jazmaan

Post by jazmaan » Mon Jan 17, 2022 9:06 pm

Also I created a diminished sixth tuning for my DM48. It's nice but I think I'd rather have it in a Modular Switch Harp so that I'd have the option of bending to get some notes. Also I already blew out a reed (Bb4) on my Modular Harp and didn't have a replacement, so I've ordered a replacement as well as another entire Modular Harp in Dim 6th tuning but a half step higher, in anticipation of being able to pair it up in a Switch Harp soon!

Brendan

Post by Brendan » Thu Jan 20, 2022 6:07 am

David: I made your new Diminished-Sixth Modular Reed Harmonica, and it's in the post. What I found unusual was that all the blow notes are higher than the draws. I assumed you wanted a blow bend version, but reading your last post here I'm wondering if that's what you intended?

Regarding pitch bends, you said you'd rather use your Mod Reed harp than the DM48 because you can bend notes on the analogue harp. However, the DM48 can offer you these excellent options:

1. if you have the Mini PitchBender or MiniMIDI-JOYstick you can easily pitch bend any note (blow and draw) on the DM48.

2. If not, you can configure the right slider to lower all notes a semitone or more.

3. If you prefer the right slider to raise notes, you can configure the top buttons to give two different pitch change options. That could be lowering by one and two semitones, or whatever you wish.

I suggest go back to your DM48 and try one of these choices. It could give you just what you're after to get the most out of this cool tuning 👍