"Wide v-Chord" re-tuning of Richter

Anything apart from the two mainstream default harmonicas (Solo-tuned fully-valved chromatic, and un-valved Richter 10-hole diatonic). Alternate tunings, different construction, new functionality, interesting old designs, wishful-thinking... whatever!
IaNerd

"Wide v-Chord" re-tuning of Richter

Post by IaNerd » Tue Apr 26, 2022 7:23 pm

In my first few posts here viewtopic.php?f=9&t=212#p1119 I considered some tunings that included lowering standard Richter's 7 draw note by two semitones -- making it equal to the 6 draw's pitch. Well over a year ago I got this far on what was going to be a more extensive re-tuning project but then had to clear off my desk for other things. Last week I pulled out this harp and tried to recollect what I was doing and thinking. What I found was that this change of one reed extends second position's typical v chord (of 4-6 draw) from 4 draw all the way to 10 draw. This could be very handy as a "neck-rack" tuning. It also opens up a new dyad -- the D5 power chord -- in the 7 and 8 draw notes. These could be played as a dyad or warbled.

download/file.php?mode=view&id=832
Attachments
2022-04-26 (2).png
2022-04-26 (2).png (10 KiB) Viewed 31573 times

EdvinW

Re: "Wide v-Chord" re-tuning of Richter

Post by EdvinW » Tue Apr 26, 2022 9:09 pm

Interesting!

Another advantage for second position is that you get the minor third as a hole 7 blow bend. This note is otherwise normally played with 6 overblow, a hard note to play and impossible if you play half valved!

I've used the same effect before with the SlipSlider, by moving the bottom plate to the right, and the bend up from the minor third to the fourth is nice :)
Edvin Wedin