Chromatic with Offset Tonics (COT) as applied to PowerChromatic

Anything apart from the two mainstream default harmonicas (Solo-tuned fully-valved chromatic, and un-valved Richter 10-hole diatonic). Alternate tunings, different construction, new functionality, interesting old designs, wishful-thinking... whatever!
IaNerd

Chromatic with Offset Tonics (COT) as applied to PowerChromatic

Post by IaNerd » Sun May 22, 2022 4:11 pm

I offer this discussion even though I am not sure if the idea is useful. This Forum’s many experienced and insightful members might see possibilities that I am missing.

I feel compelled to share this idea because I am surprised and intrigued by what I found when I applied my Chromatic with Offset Tonics (COT) concept (at viewtopic.php?f=9&t=874#p3904 ) to Brendan Power’s own PowerChromatic tuning.

We see (below) that in the slide-in layer, the breath pattern is reversed for all the diatonic scale degrees except the tonic. This layer has the exact format of a well-known chromatic tuning called ”Classical”. While the PowerChromatic layer gives us draw-bends for four notes of the scale, the Classical layer gives only two.

download/file.php?mode=view&id=851
Attachments
2022-05-22 (3).png
2022-05-22 (3).png (18.6 KiB) Viewed 43303 times

Brendan

Re: Chromatic with Offset Tonics (COT) as applied to PowerChromatic

Post by Brendan » Mon May 23, 2022 9:41 am

Another way to look at it would be as Minor Solo Tuning in D

IaNerd

Post by IaNerd » Mon May 23, 2022 10:38 am

Hmm, I'm not seeing that. But what you say helps me to see the slide-out layer as Dorian (which is minor) Classical tuning in D.

Brendan

Post by Brendan » Mon May 23, 2022 3:19 pm

It would be, starting on hole #2:

DE FG AB CD DE

But you're right: because the doubled D notes are different breath, it's not the same as the Solo pattern (where doubled C notes are blow).

IaNerd

Post by IaNerd » Mon May 23, 2022 4:46 pm

I am more surprised than I should be -- and strangely delighted -- that this works both ways ....

:o

download/file.php?mode=view&id=853
Attachments
2022-05-23 (3).png
2022-05-23 (3).png (21.51 KiB) Viewed 43275 times

IaNerd

Post by IaNerd » Mon Mar 20, 2023 3:37 am

I see now, Brendan. When you said "Minor" in your post above, you did not mean natural minor; rather, you were referring to Dorian, which is also minor.

Brendan

Post by Brendan » Mon Mar 20, 2023 4:14 am

Sorry Patrick! I went off on a tangent, talking about a different way of looking at the PowerChromatic scale only and not attending to your main point.

Combing COT with PC in either direction might give a curious result on paper, but I'm not sure its that musically appealing compared to just raising the slide notes a semitone. Or am I missing something?