Audio input to Android midi app

Anything apart from the two mainstream default harmonicas (Solo-tuned fully-valved chromatic, and un-valved Richter 10-hole diatonic). Alternate tunings, different construction, new functionality, interesting old designs, wishful-thinking... whatever!
pmolsen

Audio input to Android midi app

Post by pmolsen » Wed Dec 20, 2023 9:05 am

You have a YouTube video called MIDI HARMONICA or STD. HARMONICA + MIDI - WHICH IS BEST? at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BS50Fuu04M0 in which you play a standard harp and feed the audio via a mic to a midi app running on an iPad. What is not obvious is where the final sound is coming from, the iPad or a separate sound system. Are you able to explain the full setup please and do you know of any Android app that will allow the same thing.

I would like to be able to connect the mic to my Android phone (Samsung Galaxy S9) and have a midi app on the phone convert the sound to midi then output a new sound like you do, for example pan pipes, but so the sound comes out from the phone speaker. Is that possible please?

Brendan

Re: Audio input to Android midi app

Post by Brendan » Wed Dec 20, 2023 6:47 pm

Thanks for your message. To reply:

1. The sound from the iPad Mini is coming from a lead plugged into the headphone socket, going through my mixer along with my voice, and into the camera. It could go into a sound system, but it is from the iPad initially.

2. You can't use Android with MidiGuitar 2. There are very few decent music apps for Android, whereas there are thousands for iOS. The reason is that iOS has far superior latency: for practical purposes it's imperceptible, which makes it much better for playing music.

Like you, I use an Android phone. However, to play music apps I realised I needed iOS, so bought a second-hand iPad Mini. You can slso use an iPhone or standard full size iPad; actually the regular iPad is best, because most music apps are written for its screen size. It's best to buy the most recent and powerful one you can afford, because the apps are constantly getting bulkier and updated to perform best on the latest version.

My iPad Mini is quite old (2015). It works, but can only run about three synth apps at the same time without glitching. But if you only want to use MidiGuitar 2 it's enough.

pmolsen

Post by pmolsen » Wed Dec 20, 2023 9:44 pm

Thanks for that. If I buy an iPhone or iPad will it be possible to run the mic into it and have the sound come out of its speakers rather than an external amp please? I am wanting a small portable setup.

Brendan

Post by Brendan » Fri Dec 22, 2023 5:13 am

You'll need an audio interface to get your mic signal into the iPad. iRig is a well-known maker, and there are many others. If in doubt, search for "play guitar with iPad".

The iPad speakers will wii, but they're pretty weak and quiet. It's better to run a signal from the headphone socket to a small amp or PA.

There's lots of info on all this stuff on YouTube. Please check there if you have problems.